Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Equality? What's that??!

As I checked my e-mail this evening, I was happy to see an email from the woman I wanted to do our wedding cake. As I opened the email and began reading, the anger started building. The anger is at an explosive level at this point due to the nature of her discrimination....

Here's the email I received...

~~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Jamie, I talked to you yesterday on the phone about scheduling a cake for a wedding in October. I am very sorry to do this but I will have to back out of the commitment to do this. I was having reservations yesterday after we talked due to the marriage involving two women. I discussed things over with my husband this morning and he is adamently opposed to me doing this. I tried to reach you by phone today but could not get you and I did not want to leave a message of this nature so I am emailing instead. I am sorry that I did not get back to you sooner but I needed to find a time to dicuss this with my hubby before I made a decision...but I did want to let you know now rather than later so it will not cause a hardship in your plans. Thank you for asking.

*~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

I have no words for this. Part of it is if I do begin saying the words I am truly feeling, I'm not sure that I will be able to edit myself. I am angry beyond words. Why do some people _still_ have to be so close-minded? We aren't really all equal, are we?

I welcome all comments. I have not responded to her email ... and I don't know if I will.

I'm hurt, angry, and sad... Unfortunately I don't think this will be our first encounter of this nature.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jamie! A different viewpoint on it: She is entitled to her opinion and what she is comfortable with, correct? She didn't seem mean or attacking in the email. She is simply not comfortable with it. Many people are going to disagree with things we do. We can't expect them all to agree. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I respect your viewpoint, whether or not she was attacking or mean in her email, she is discriminating.

    discrimination - treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, I mean do we know that its her, after all she had to check with her "hubby" to find out if she should dislike lesbians or not... maybe he's afraid she'll be led astray to horrible lesbian land if she is so unable to find her own opinion without male input/direction.

    ReplyDelete